The FLL Research Project is an important part of the preparation for the competition. Each team should work on the research project. The individual steps (see below) are the same every year. The topic corresponds to the annual contest theme and is different every year. A more detailed introduction to the topic will be announced at the kickoff on August 1st 2018.
Each year, the FLL competition is dedicated to a different topic. Before you determine your particular topic, try to learn as much as possible about this area. Use various sources such as: internet, books, newspapers, interviews with experts, etc. Use the time to research on the subject before you get more information about this years research project at the kickoff.
Make a list of various topics that you would like to learn more about. Select one topic and use it to develop your FLL Research Question. Now find out as much as you can about this particular topic.
Create an innovative solution to the problem. Think about a solution that adds value to society by improving something that already exists, using something that exists in a new way, or inventing something totally new. Use the ingenuity of the entire team. The “crazy” idea of a team member is perhaps the starting point for an innovative solution.
Once you have a plan for your solution, share it with others! Can you share with a professional or someone who helped you learn about your topic? Can you think of any other groups of people who might be interested in your idea? Consider sharing with someone who could provide feedback about your idea. Getting input and improving are part of the design process for any engineer. Don’t be afraid to revise your idea if you receive some helpful feedback.
Present your research to the judges at the tournament. Find a creative way – your presentation can be supported by different formats: posters, pictures, models, multimedia features, your research materials, etc. Be creative, but also make sure you cover all the essential information.
To be eligible for Project Awards and advancement, your team must:
- Identify your team’s FLL Research Question and explain a solution of the topic.
- Explain your team’s innovative solution and how it can be happen in the real world.
- Describe how your team shared your findings with others.
- Show different types of research resources (offline, online, experts …).
- Meet the presentation requirements:
- Give your presentation live; you may use media equipment (if available) but only to enhance the live presentation.
- Include all team members; each team member must participate in the Project judging session in some way.
- Set up and complete your presentation in 5 minutes or less with no adult help.